Copyright is a legal right created by the law of a country that grants the creator of an original work exclusive rights to its use and distribution, usually for a limited time, with the intention of enabling the creator (e.g. the photographer of a photograph or the author of a book) to receive compensation for their intellectual effort. The exclusive rights are, however, not absolute and do not give the creator total control of their works because they are limited by limitations and exceptions to copyright law.
As far back as 1787, the United States Constitution provided for the protection of copyrights “to promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts. The contemporary intent of copyright is to promote the creation of new works by giving authors control of and profit from them. Copyrights are said to be territorial, which means that they do not extend beyond the territory of a specific state unless that state is a party to an international agreement.
Today, however, this is less relevant since most countries are parties to at least one such agreement. While many aspects of national copyright laws have been standardized through international copyright agreements, copyright laws of most countries have some unique features. Typically, the duration of copyright is the whole life of the creator plus fifty to a hundred years from the creator’s death, or a finite period for anonymous or corporate creations.
Some jurisdictions have required formalities to establishing copyright, but most recognize copyright in any completed work, without formal registration. Generally, copyright is enforced as a civil matter, though some jurisdictions do apply criminal sanctions.
Most jurisdictions recognize copyright limitations, allowing “fair” exceptions to the creator’s exclusivity of copyright, and giving users certain rights. The development of digital media and computer network technologies have prompted reinterpretation of these exceptions, introduced new difficulties in enforcing copyright, and inspired additional challenges to copyright law’s philosophic basis. Simultaneously, businesses with great economic dependence upon copyright, such as those in the music business, have advocated the extension and expansion of their intellectual property rights, and sought additional legal and technological enforcement.
Ownership, Copyrights and Trademarks
- TKG consists of images, texts, formats and styles of presentation, (including HTML code) and material analogous to it (“Material“). All copyright and other moral, ownership and intellectual property rights capable of subsisting in the Material or derivatives of it from time to time is either owned exclusively by or is licensed to TKG.
- Before using the content for or personal or professional family history research, please review the following information, terms, conditions and disclaimer.
Use of Materials
- You are licensed to use the “Textual content (= content on TKG in the form of plain text) only for personal or professional family history research and may download textual content only as search results relevant to that research, as long as credits are given. However, you are not allowed to republish the content of TKG without prior consent. When in doubt, please contact me.
- Some material has been used by permission of various copyright holders
other than this website and therefore I cannot grant permission for you to
What you are not allowed to do.
- You are not allowed to copy (whether by printing onto paper, storing on disk or any other way), distribute (including distributing copies), tamper with or alter in any way or otherwise use any material contained in this website except as set out above in “Use of materials”.
- You are not allowed to copy any material from this website for any other commercial purpose.
- You are not allowed to remove any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property notices or watermark contained in the original material or from any material copied or printed from the website.
- You are not allowed to use the website for any activities that breach any laws, infringe any other parties rights, or breach any standards, content requirements or codes published by any relevant authority.
- You are not allowed to use the site in any way that interferes with our systems, other users or harasses, menaces or harms anyone. You will indemnify us from and against all actions, claims, suits, demands, liabilities, costs or expenses arising out of, or in any way connected with, use of the site by you or any other person using your login information.
How to cite TKG:
- The preferred way to cite an article is:
Source: Cees Kloosterman, “Dutch costumes”, from the Kloosterman Genealogy, https://www.kloosterman.be
- All information on TKG has been researched and presented with great care and is gathered from sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or final.
- The information may include inaccuracies or typographical errors.
- Changes are periodically added to the information herein.
- Any material on TKG is for informational purposes only and should not be used for professional genealogical advice without the reference of the main/base web sites or the verification at the local, regional or provincial archives.
- Contents contained on this independent web site are provided to you free of charge, on an “as is” basis.
- The site owner/webmaster does not give or make any representation or warranty (either express or implied) as to the completeness, accuracy or reliability of the contents of the web site and the linked websites nor does the site owner/webmaster accept any responsibility arising in any way (including from negligence) for errors in, or omissions from, the contents of this web site and the linked web sites.
- Users are advised to evaluate carefully and establish the validity and integrity of the information found on this web site and the linked websites. TKG cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and have no control over the availability of the linked sites.
Linking, Framing and Third Party Sites
- TKG provides links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. These hyperlinks are provided for your convenience, and their development and maintenance is not under the direction of TKG. Thus, the content, accuracy, opinions expressed, and other links provided by these external web sites are neither verified by TKG nor endorsed by TKG.
- Because TKG has no control over external web sites, you acknowledge and agree that TKG is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources and shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused by the use of any such content, product or materials.
- The consent of TKG must be obtained before framing, deep-linking or other activity impacting the access to or the use of TKG. Failure to obtain such consent may result in an infringement claim or other legal action being brought.
- In no circumstances shall TKG be liable for any injury, loss, claim, damage or any incidental or consequential damages, including but not limited to loss of profits or savings, arising out of, or in any way connected with, the use of any data or information services displayed on this site.
Denial of Access, Use, or Service
- TKG reserves the right to deny access, use or service on TKG to any User, for any reason whatsoever, at its sole discretion.
- For security and privacy reasons, TKG contains no birthdates or other personal information of individuals believed to be living. If family members do not want any information about their ancestors to be on this site or if the information about you is not correct, please let me know and fill in the Privacy form. I will correct your data or remove the data from the website.
Copyright Infringement Claims
- If you believe that any copyright infringement exists on TKG, please notify me by email.
- All claims of copyright infringement should be directed to: email@example.com
Changes to these Terms and Conditions
- TKG may at any time change or modify all or any part of these Terms. By browsing this website you are accepting that you are bound by the terms and conditions and disclaimer current at that time, so you should check these each time you visit the site.